Yesterday, I took part in a workshop on local government held at the National Union of Students' LGBT Conference in Glasgow. There were a series of questions about support for LGBT representation, funding of services and resources to tackle homophobia.
I received a copy of the manifesto from the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) National Youth Council which outlines the key issues which I endorse:-
- Support marriage for all people in Scotland
- End the discriminatory blood donation ban for men who have sex with men.
- Challenge homophobic, biphobic and transphobic bullying in Scotland's schools
- Continue work to tackle homophobic and transphobic hate crime
- Make democracy relevant and accessible to young people
- Ensure educational opportunities are available for all young people in Scotland
- Challenge negative representations of young people in society
- Listen to what young people think about society and citizenship across Scotland.
Within Glasgow, support has been requested for the Pride March and the rise in Hate Crime highlights the need for further work to tackle homophobia in our communities.