Today, during a discussion at a council meeting we shared experiences of fires in the home.
I recalled my experience as a teenager when I got woken up in the middle of the night by my parents because our home was on fire. Thankfully, everyone was able to escape and the fire engines arrived in time to prevent major damage to our home. However, that night will stay with me. It was very frightening and not something you want to repeat.
Now, I have fitted smoke alarms to my flat and try to keep my home safe.
I heard about an initiative by the Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Service last week which offers free home fire safety visits. It is worth considering if you want advice and have still to fit smoke alarms.
Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Service - http://www.strathclydefire.org/your-safety/at-home/is-your-home-safe/free-home-fire-safety-visit.aspx