Sunday 11 September 2011

Wild Swans on the Canal

Usually, on a Sunday I try to go for a jog or cycle. Today, I made a cycle trip along the Forth and Clyde Canal between Port Dundas and Maryhill Road at the Mackintosh Tea Room. 

On my travels, I crossed paths with several cyclists, a dog walker and fishermen.  I had the good fortune to meet up with some wild birds; a female swan and her cygnets.


A female swan known as "Pen" and her cygnets at Port Dundas.

Across the country, lead poisoning in mute swans has declined since the restriction on lead weights was introduced in 1987. However, research has provided evidence of continued lead poisoning in some localities.  Swans are protected as native wild birds.

Useful Links:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.