Saturday 10 March 2018

Introducing Big Belly Solar Bins

In July 2017, I went on a walk along the Fife Coastal Path to Anstruther where I enjoyed fish and chips on a bench at the harbour. Nearby, I spotted a solar powered bin and used it to dispose of my rubbish.  As I am interested in reducing litter problems and support renewable energy projects, this bin appeared to be a very attractive innovation.

 Big Belly Solar Bin at Anstruther Harbour, Fife in July 2017.

On my return to Glasgow, I asked council officials if Big Belly Solar Bins had been considered for the city's streets. Subsequently, the potential of this bin type to improve street cleansing has been subject to debate and thankfully, Big Belly Solar Bins are now being tested in Buchanan Street.

Big Belly Solar Bin on Buchanan Street, Glasgow in March 2018.

The development of smart bin technology bins such as Big Belly Solar are worth considering as part of the effort to enhance street cleansing services and reduce our carbon footprint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.